Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Ten years of ultrarunning

 “Kim Weatherford? What?? I never gave you a chance to finish!!”
Those were Dr. Horton’s words as I reached the finish line of the Hellgate 100K in 2015, my first attempt at running the race. I was just as surprised as he was that I managed to complete that very challenging race, seeing less than fifteen minutes remaining in the 18 hour time limit. Ultrarunning is a series of explorations where we try to find our limits and push back at them. That first Hellgate brought the highest highs and lowest lows of any race I’ve ever done. It was every bit of challenge, suffering, and satisfaction you hope for in a race. I didn’t imagine I’d ever do it again.
But then one day in 2017, my mind wandered, and I calculated that if I completed both races every year, I could complete 10 Promise Lands and 5 Hellgates before I turned 40.
Both races are David Horton specials, with lots of tough climbs and beautiful scenery. Promise Land 50K was my first real ultra. I had technically done Holiday Lake first in 2012, but between being grossly undertrained and mildly injured, there was very little running involved. When I showed up at the start of Promise Land 2012, I saw it as my first ultra. That year did not disappoint. Beautiful 50 degree temps gave way to a surprise temperature plummet, with hail, lightning, freezing rain, and 30 degree temps for the climb up Apple Orchard Falls and the five mile descent to the finish. It felt crazy, wild, dangerous, and exhilarating. I arrived at the finish feeling like I had really accomplished something, that I was stronger than I thought. I wanted more.
So I kept running. I ran various races over the years, but Promise Land was the one that I kept coming back to, the one race that I ran consistently every year. It was like homecoming every year, with new friends and old, the course feeling homey and familiar no matter the weather.
A stress fracture in my foot and Covid conspired so that I missed Hellgate in 2019 and then Promise Land 2020 was cancelled. The goal was accordingly revised to finishing 10 Promise Lands and 5 Hellgates the year I was 40.
In December I finished my 5th Hellgate with a huge PR and earned my coveted Eagle trophy. And yesterday, I finished my 10th Promise Land.
In appropriate fashion, it did not come easily. Our first day this year over 80 degrees (a few days ago we had an overnight freeze), the temps hit 86 in the afternoon, plus humidity. The weather was clear and the trees are just getting their leaves, so many portions of the course were exposed and sunny. Especially tough when we trained in 40 degree weather for months. I felt like I was running strong and well, but my watch showed that I wasn’t moving as fast as I’d expect for the effort. Still, my legs felt strong, I was able to pace myself well, avoid cramps, and never feel dead. I didn’t hit my goal time, but it wasn’t my worst time ever. I earned my ten time finisher polo.
After a few years of covid cancellations and modifications, it was a joy to sit around the camp at the finish with friends, sharing stories of the day, and cheering for those who were coming in. Everyone had to work hard for a finish yesterday. And the volunteers had their own stories to share of what they’d seen. So good to see Rhonda, Blake, Sam, Todd, Alexis, Bailey, Chelsie, Gina, Alissa, David, Mike, Wade, Caroline, Helen, Rebekah, and so many more. Congratulations to those of you who finished and thank you to those who volunteered!!
Ultrarunning has given me a chance to accomplish things that went from sounding outlandish, to improbable, to possible. I’ve learned and passed on lessons to my kids about perseverance, problem solving, consistency, and goal-setting. I’ve processed life events with friends out on the trails. We’ve walked (and run) through aging parents, broken relationships, injuries, disease, moves, new babies, job shifts, children growing up, and countless smaller events. We’ve run through 95 degree humidity and wind chills below zero, through thunderstorms, blizzards, and ice storms, through mountain creeks and past countless waterfalls. We’ve seen gorgeous sunrises, countless deer, several cows and horses, and a handful of bears, owls, and foxes. We’ve taken in the beauty of the world around us and encouraged each other that no matter what life throws at you, it never always gets worse.
I’m so grateful that I get to run, that I get to be a part of this community, that I have the support of my husband and children, and that I live in such a beautiful place. Here’s to celebrating a decade of ultrarunning, and hoping for many more.
Hellgate finisher pic with Dr. Horton

Eagle trophy for 5 Hellgates

Apple Orchard Falls (mile 29ish of Promise Land)

Promise Land stairs
Party at Promise Land finish
Promise Land finish line photo
Some of our running community

Unofficial squirrel trophy
Handmade squirrel trophy

No comments:

Post a Comment